Welcome to my corner of the world!

Here's where you'll find pictures of my family, quilts and flowers, or whatever else I happen to take a picture of!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chickens... Ok, Patty keeps talking about her little puffballs(baby chicks), I thought I'd show a picture of the ones I handle! Here they are all ready to be put on the truck and shipped all over the country. You can't see them very well in this picture, but the boxes are full of ventilation holes. I can see the chicks thru the holes. Each of these boxes contains lots of baby chicks, so the noise level is high on "Chicken day" as we like to call Mondays and Wednesdays. Those are the days the local hatchery hatches out chicks and mails them. They have so many hours from the hatching to mailing in order to be able to mail them Priority. If they wait beyond the time limit, they have to mail them Express. This week, however, chicken duties are falling to another clerk as they want me up front to help handle the extra customers at the window that tax day brings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chirp! chirp! LOL
I couldn't work there, I'd be wanting to poke my fingers in the holes and play with them.
Thanks for sharing the pic.. I enjoyed it.

Patty said...

I love this!!! Thank you for taking this photo; you really do handle a lot of chicks.

Today I ordered 100 little chicks; some for selling and some for keeping.

Helen Ruth said...

This is amazing. I didn't know until recently that these chicks went through the mail.

ForestJane said...

So how did tax day go? Hope they weren't too 'cheep' to hire enough people to run things lol