Welcome to my corner of the world!

Here's where you'll find pictures of my family, quilts and flowers, or whatever else I happen to take a picture of!

Friday, June 02, 2006


Block #2... Here it looks a little dark, not sure why. Now that it is June, I can go buy block #6! I think I'm going to buy some of the gold to work on "my" version of those big pre printed blocks. Still haven't decided for sure on a design, but I will before long. Along with my Cathedral windows, I'll need something to work on before work in the mornings. DH will have to drop me off about 45 minutes before it is actually time for me to be at work, so I intend to take hand sewing and my book and sit in the cafeteria and do that til time for me to go to work. Makes more sense to do that than to drive seperate every day. I will drive myself probably 2 days a week, but ride with him some, too, to save gas.

Yes, I took the new job. When I told my immediate supervisor, he was very supportive. In fact, he said he'd heard this new place I'm going paid very well and had been considering going up there himself. I ran into the company owner(it's a really small company) yesterday and when I told him, he got smart alecky and said "You'll be making about $40 per week more, you'll spend that in gas since you'll be driving 25 miles each way(now I drive 3) I said, "NO, my husband already works up there, so it won't cost me anything.And besides, that's STARTING pay..I'll be making a LOT more within 6 months." He didn't know what to say about that. I told him I'd asked for a raise the month before and if Joe(his son who is taking over the company slowly) had given it to me, I would have never went to the interview. He said, "I thought we'd taken care of that." NOPE....so I'm outta there. I had thought that if they came to me with an offer, even though I KNOW they can't touch what I'm going to make at the new job, I may consider staying, but now, there is no way. I may regret it, but you never know til you try, right? And over $600 per month increase in pay is hard to turn down.

I guess I'm just naive, but I found the whole drug test hilarious. I had to go to the new place yesterday to discuss the job again(found out I'll be starting at 30 cents per hour MORE than I'd originally been told :) ) and was told I had to go take a drug test. I said, "Hmm........I THINK the aleeve I took on Saturday will have worn off by now." She just laughed. Then filled out the paper and told me where the "Employment Drug Screening" place was. Right off, I found that funny. I don't know why. I also find it sad that it's come to this. Anyway, when I went there, after the lady filled out the paperwork, she went into the bathroom, sprayed blue stuff in the bowl, taped the flusher down, taped the faucet down and told me to pee in this cup. "when you are done, let me know and we'll flush and I'll untape the faucet so you can wash." THEN had to leave my purse outside the door..I was a little uncomfortable with that, but since it was just her there, I didn't throw a fit. I didn't have much in it, anyway. After I did what I had to do, I didn't want to touch the door handle to open the door! I said, "this is disgusting" She laughed and said, she knew and she cleans the door knob after every person. I SURE HOPE SO! DH and I are handwashers big time. Anyway, sorry for sharing such a story, but it's what I did yesterday and since it was my first time, I just found the whole thing a joke. I know it's not a joke and I know of people who miss out on jobs because they can't pass the drug test. They don't do that where I work now, because if they did, they'd lose over half their employees. Sad, huh? I think so. I start my new job June 12.

Thank you to all of you well wishers on my previous post! I knew I'd find a lot of support out there! Quilters are such a supportive group! I love that I've found this whole new group to get to know!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ann - from your old bosses reaction it sounds like you're doing the right thing - good luck to you - the block looks good too - the stolen time you will spend waiting after getting that lift with your husband sounds like a gift - just think what you'll be able to achieve in a years worth of those time pockets

Finn said...

Hi Ann, the block looks gorgeous, and I'm sure that whatever you decide, the whole quilt is going to be great!

Glad you decided to take the new job. Change is hard, trust me, I know. But it's a huge salary difference, and we can learn to do just about anything..LOL..even take a drug test...LOL. I have never been in that position either, and I'm sure it's as uncomfortable as it gets. The taping and dye stuff, I'm sure to to keep people from substituting someone elses or watering it down...pretty sad, isn't it????

Sending lots of support and hugs...please have a really great time as we march toward June 12th, all too fast approaching!!! Hugs, Finn

ForestJane said...

Wow, I like the blocks!

You know when I first saw these I didn't think I'd like the series, but as I'm seeing them made up, they're growing on me... :)