Welcome to my corner of the world!

Here's where you'll find pictures of my family, quilts and flowers, or whatever else I happen to take a picture of!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006


Decisions....... I got offered a new job today. One making lots more money, but doing something I'm not so sure I want to do. So, which is worth more......the extra money(and I'm talking about quite a difference in pay) or sticking with a job I don't mind, but hate at the same time because the pay stinks? DH and I were discussing it earlier and he says, "you and I both seem to be afraid of change" lol....he hit the nail on the head there! I am 41 years old and the job I am in now is only the 2nd "real" job I've ever had. I worked 6 years in a blue jean factory, then 11 years I ran a daycare in my home which I loved and did not consider a job, even though I know it was, now worked where I am almost 6 1/2 years. I have til 9:30 Thursday morning to let the guy know my decision. DH will only say "I'll support you whatever you decide" He's no help. I've been weighing the pros and cons and still can't make up my mind! SOMEBODY HELP ME! hehe..but then, by the time I get any comments on this post, the decision will have been made....so I guess it's all up to me, myself and I. Oh well, I'll let you all know tomorrow what I decided.
Since I'm unable to get to my sewing machine right now, due to all the yardsale stuff piled in my sewing room, I'm sharing pictures of the BOM I'm doing. I'll post one at a time til I use them all up just so I'll have pretty pictures to show you! Happy Thursday everyone! Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Hunter said...

Gosh, what a pretty block.

And I know you made the decision that's right for you. Before I retired, I took a couple of jobs just for the money to fund our move here.

I didn't regret doing that, but I also knew they were going to be short term.

I'll be reading to see what you chose. In any case, I wish you much happiness in your decision.

Darilyn

Unknown said...

Oh Ann - this is a real quandary - especially if as you say you are allergic to change - only you can ultimately make the decision.

But if it's any help to you my husband went through similar about 8 years ago - he opted for change from a poorly paid position with long service and some 'security' against redundancy and then went through a turbulent/interesting (depending on your viewpoint and degree of optimism) time since.

Three redundancies, a six month sojourn to another country and lots of trial and tribulation transpired from then on in but at the end of it all we've (and I do mean we as all the decisions have been fully supported by me) arrived at a point where he loves his job, is on pretty good money and has learned a lot on the way.

If you do take the step up in money and it turns out to be something you hate and can't stick at you will be on a higher rung on the salary ladder to bargain your next move which for us turned out to be the means to getting out of the 'unloved / unappreciated / underpaid' employment trap he has become stuck in when the kids were tiny, I couldn't work and finances were sooooo tight.

I wish you luck with your decision - and my gut reaction is go for it - what have you got to lose - you can always move on again :o)

Melanie said...

I had a job, loved it. Not really the job, but I loved the people I worked with and the tasks I was assigned. It was a manufacturing company. They developed plans to move overseas. I was crushed. I knew I still had a job after others were layed off in the restructure, but there were no raises, there was more work, and the long range security of the job no one knew. I put some 'feelers' out there. I got an offer from another company, closer to home, considerable pay increases, and a little more security. It wasn't easy, but I knew within a couple of years I would have 2 sets of college tuition looking me in the face. Barginning power for a woman is a lot better when she has a job-- try to get a few more days vacation--
I know money doesn't by happiness... but did you ever see too many people without it????

I have good days and days I still miss my old job (it's been 14 months now), but I tell myself my job isn't my life, it's what I do to have one...

Quiltgranny said...

Is it possible for you to ask the people where you work now (at the job you like) to match your competitor's offer of salary before you make the leap? You never know, sometimes, that they would do a compromise just to keep you. If not, then you can move on to the next one and not have any regrets:)

Laurie Ann said...

Oh, hard decision. I'll be interested to hear which way you went. I hate change too, but sometimes it happens and I end up being glad about it. I know you are going to make me wish I would have done that BOM at my LQS. The first block is beautiful!