Welcome to my corner of the world!

Here's where you'll find pictures of my family, quilts and flowers, or whatever else I happen to take a picture of!

Sunday, August 13, 2006

OOPS.......... a few days ago, Laurie Ann requested that I post my salsa recipe and I had forgotten til just now. And Jane, we make so much salsa because as you know, we eat a lot of hot and spicy foods and I use our home made salsa when I make chilli, taco meat, breakfast burritos and a few other things. Plus, we keep the kids (dd and dsil) supplied with it, too, as they love it as much as we do. Not sure how much of it dd will be able to eat this year, though! DH is insisting we make it HOT this year, and with dd being pregnant, she may not be able to handle it as well as she has in the past!...........Well, for anyone who is interested, here is the recipe:
Salsa
  • 1/2 bushel of tomatoes
  • 10 bell peppers
  • 15 yellow banana peppers ( mixture of hot and sweet)
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 5 yellow onions
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • At least 2 tablespoons pepper
  • 10 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1 tablespoon garlic
  • 4-8 jalepeno peppers

Chop all vegetables, then combine with remaining ingredients and cook til boiling. Let boil slowly for about 1/2 hour, stirring frequently. Ladle into hot canning jars and seal in boiling water bath 45 minutes.

This is the basic recipe we received several years ago. We no longer follow it very closely as we add extra peppers(habenaros) and I'm not a measurer! The only thing I measure is the salt and vinegar for some strange reason. Guess because I am strange! hehe. Also, dh likes to squeeze the juice out of the tomatoes because he doesn't like a runny salsa. We use a food proccessor to "chop" our veggies because we make so much. Hope you all enjoy it! We found it a very good recipe and have had lots of compliments on it.



3 comments:

quiltpixie said...

yummmmm

ForestJane said...

Guess I've just got a HOT friend... lol

Laurie Ann said...

Thanks so much for posting the recipe! Sounds good!!