Welcome to my corner of the world!

Here's where you'll find pictures of my family, quilts and flowers, or whatever else I happen to take a picture of!

Friday, April 21, 2006

Poems...............tonight I went looking for a poem/diddy to share with a friend, and instead of finding it, I found a book of poetry I had written back in high school. Jane suggested I type some of them up here, so here they are.

This first one I'm posting was written when I was in the 10th grade. I went to an almost all white, small country school. We had an African American family move in and they had 2 sons. The older one was a year behind me in school and we shared a few classes. He was a sweetheart. One morning, I was late for school on a day we had those tests where everyone in our grade had to go to the cafeteria to take it.....as I walked thru the halls, there was this heaviness in the air and I had no idea why. When I got to the cafeteria, I wrote a note to a fairly new girl whom I had befriended, asking her what was going on. She wrote back, "You know Eric, that black kid?........he died last night.".......she had no idea he and I were pretty good friends.....of course being 15 years old, the news that a friend had passed away devestated me..Even now, 25 years later, the memory is so vivid in my mind it brings tears. Back then, I fancied myself a poet and this poem was written for Eric Sean Williams on the day he was taken away from us..I titled it simply "Eric"

He was so young, Lord
Why did you have to take him away?
He was so sweet, Lord
Why couldn't you have let him stay?
He was the kindest of friends, Lord
He was always there if you needed him.
He was also a good Christian, Lord
He was everybody's friend.
But you wanted him to be with you,
So you took him away from us.
Away from all temptations,
Now he'll forever live in peace with you,
Leaving memories for us whom he left behind.
I'll think of him often, Lord
Whenever I'm feeling low.
And the memoreies of his goodness, Lord
Will help me as I grow.

AZ 4/81

This one was written in 1979........when I was 14! I titled it "Growing Up"

As I sat there thinking
about the fun we'd had
I then thought of how we are now
and it made me very sad
Once we were so close,
as close as a family could be
But it seems we've went our seperate ways,
and it really makes me hurt to see
That those who once were my best friends,
now seem like not much more
Than the authority figures in my life
who seem to think raising me's a chore.
But deep down in my heart I know,
that they still love me a lot
And they're not quite sure how to cope
with the daughter that they've got
I wish that they could understand
I'm not still the small child that they knew
And the outside of my body
is not the only part that grew.
I'm slowly becoming a woman
and wish that they could see
That I can't be treated the same
because it's really a different me!


If I remember correctly, that one stemmed from the fact that I wanted to date(at age 14, lol) and my dad wouldn't let me!

Ok, 2 is enough for one night....lol.....most of the rest of them are sappy love poems..for some reason, I didn't have the foresight to put a name with any of the poems, so I have no idea who they were written for! But reading thru them was an emotioanal walk down memory lane!

OH, the twins were born this morning! They don't have names yet though! I told my aunt today(the grandma) about a commercial they are running her where a guy calls his 16 y/o daughter "Hey You" and son was "whatshisname"cuz they couldn't decide on names..she said she'd tell the new mom about that! hehe........anyway.............til next time, I'm outta here!

2 comments:

ForestJane said...

I like both of them!

Sometimes it's fun to go back and remember the angst we went through as teens... oh, those raging hormones!

Maybe you ought to try writing some as an adult.

Finn said...

Hi Ann, welcome to blogland *VBS*
I had to pop over and see where you hang your hat. Neat blog you've got going.
Thanks for stopping over at Pieces, and leaving a comment. It's fun to see who stops by and takes the time to comment.

I look forward to seeing more of your quilting projects. And very nice poetry..especially from such a young girl.